Sunday 18 July 2010

When you're weary

I've honestly no way of describing what's going on in my head right now. It's probably the same kind of histrionics that I roll my eyes at when I see it in other people. I've got that low-grade panic that comes from having too many unfinished tasks, from too much happening too soon with too little control.

I have a potential client who's expecting the impossible. I've told him that technology can't really do what he wants it to do for the price he's willing to pay. He's currently using pirated software on dodgy, dusty machines that he expects the world from and expects me to turn it into a pristine, legal, working network for peanuts.

I have a server to diagnose that's failing intermittently, whose parts all pass testing, whose software works flawlessly on a different set of hardware, which probably has an obvious flaw that I would spot in a microsecond if I could just stop and think.

I have a meta-friend who's IM-ing me and asking if I know where she can 'score some weed' - at 9:30 on a Sunday night, when I actually don't know where she can get 'weed' at any time on any night, though it sounds almost like an attractive proposition right now.

I have a family issue unfolding that really has nothing to do with me and I could do without even hearing about it right now because I'm having one of those days where I could just SNAP.

Deep breaths.

This day will be over soon.